The coastal biogeochemical dynamics lab at the University of Connecticut invites applications for a Research Assistant position to participate in and support a series of regional modeling activities performed in the lab in the general area of coastal ocean prediction. The successful candidate will have an expertise in computational methods, and model evaluation. They will manage, as part of the team, production of model climatologies, historical and forecast/projection simulations. Preference will be given to candidates with experience with Regional Ocean Modeling System (ROMS) and knowledge of Unix systems. Experience with statistical analysis of large data sets is encouraged. The incumbent will work with the existing team of researchers on the presentation of the results websites, peer-reviewed journal articles, and scientific presentations. The position will be located at the regional campus at Avery Point working with the laboratory of Samantha Siedlecki.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement experiments with existing regional models in ROMS using FORTRAN on a Unix based system;
- Analyze model output and evaluate model performance using existing data;
- Develop code to produce figures and movies of the output that can be used to disseminate output to the user community and enhance public access
- Assist Principal Investigators on the project with the tasks involved with improving the system and quantifying new metrics to better communicate the results on the web.
- MSc in Oceanography, or a closely related field; BS will be considered in combination with equivalent relevant work experience (2 ? 4 years of experience in a related area)
- Experience in regional model application and analysis;
- Experience running ROMS (or equivalent) simulations;
- Ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment;
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with biogeochemical model output within ROMS;
- Demonstrated experience working with graduate or undergraduate students
The initial appointment is for one year, with the possibility of renewal. Salary and benefits are competitive.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #494406 where you must upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on May 16, 2020.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.