Applications are invited for an open PhD position in spatial oceanography in the ocean research team of the Research Center in Spatial Meteorology (CEMS/OCEAN, Météo-France/CNRS) in Lannion, Brittany, FRANCE. The title is: Opportunities offered by new generation geostationary weather satellite imagers for ocean colour observation in preparation for the Meteosat Third Generation programme.
The deadline for application is 05/07/2022
The objective of the PhD is to study the opportunities offered by the FCI instrument on board of the Meteosat Third Generation (MTG) for ocean colour observation. The proposed PhD will be carried out within the CNRM/CEMS Ocean team, specialised in the restitution of ocean surface parameters from satellite observations. As part of the OSI SAF (Ocean and Sea Ice Satellite Applications Facilities) Eumetsat program, we plan to develop algorithms of atmospheric corrections capable of converting the radiance measured by the instrument into radiance at the surface. Thus apply these methods to geostationnary data in order to retrieve geophysical products necessary for ocean color observation (several phenomena will be studied in particular: upwelling, tidal phenomena). The candidate will also be engaged in the Meteo France operationnal mission related to the detection and the monitoring of Sargassum drifts in the Atlantic Ocean.
- Candidate must hold a master degree in either an environmental science domain (e.g. oceanography, meteorology) or in applied mathematics/signal processing.
- Knowledge in oceanography, remote sensing and data processing would be highly appreciated.
- Good level of written and spoken English.
- Python development skills is desirable (visualisation tools, data processing)
To apply please send the following by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com before the 5th of July 2022:
- a detailed CV;
- a cover letter;
- one or two contacts of persons that could recommend you.